What's New for 2013:
- 5.8-inch color touch-screen navigation system, includes SMS text messaging capability, e911 Assist service, and Pandora Internet radio
- 3i SV Sedan adds standard air conditioning and exterior temperature display, optional automatic transmission
- 3i Sport Sedan adds Skyactiv powertrain, cruise control, USB port, multi-information display, unique gauge coloring
- Touring trim adds standard keyless entry with push-button ignition
- Touring trim offered with blind-spot monitoring system
- Grand Touring trim adds standard blind-spot monitoring system, new navigation system, cabin welcome lighting, sliding center console armrest
- 3s Grand Touring trim adds automatic bi-xenon headlights with adaptive front-lighting system, fog lights, side mirrors with integrated turn signal indicators, LED taillights, rain-sensing wipers, alarm system, and satellite radio service
- Mazdaspeed 3 offered with new navigation system
- 3s Touring trim discontinued
- Sky Blue Mica paint color discontinued
The 2013 Mazda 3 is offered as a sedan or a 5-door hatchback in numerous trim levels and with a choice of three engines. The Mazda 3i SV Sedan is the least expensive model, and it comes standard with power exterior mirrors and 16-inch steel wheels with plastic wheel covers.Interior Features
Standard equipment for the Mazda 3i SV Sedan includes air conditioning, power windows, tilt/telescoping steering wheel, height-adjustable driver's seat, cloth upholstery, floor mats, exterior temperature display, and a 4-speaker stereo with a CD player and an auxiliary audio input jack.
An automatic transmission and a Convenience package with automatic power door locks and remote keyless entry are options for the Mazda 3i SV Sedan.
The Mazda 3i Sport includes the Convenience package and, for 2013, adds a more powerful and fuel-efficient Skyactiv-G engine. Cruise control, a USB port, multi-information display, and unique gauge coloring are also standard.
The Mazda 3i Touring is offered in both sedan and hatchback body styles. Both include 16-inch aluminum wheels, dual-zone automatic climate control, keyless entry with push-button ignition, Bluetooth connectivity with music streaming capability, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, 6 stereo speakers, and a rear-seat center armrest. An optional Preferred Equipment package adds a power sunroof, blind-spot monitoring system, and a premium Bose Centerpoint surround-sound audio system.
The Mazda 3i Grand Touring adds leather seats, 8-way power-adjustable driver's seat, heated front seats, heated side mirrors, sliding center console armrest, cabin welcome lighting, power sunroof, blind-spot monitoring system, and a Bose Centerpoint premium surround-sound audio system with HD Radio. A navigation system with a 5.8-inch color touch-screen display is also standard on this model, and it includes voice command control, Pandora Internet radio, SMS text messaging capability, and e911 automatic emergency notification service.
The 3i Grand Touring trim is offered with an optional Technology package including automatic bi-xenon headlights with an adaptive front-lighting system, fog lights, side mirrors with integrated turn signal indicators, LED taillights, rain-sensing wipers, alarm system, 4-month subscription to satellite radio, and a rear spoiler.
The 3s Grand Touring is equipped with everything listed above plus a more powerful 2.5-liter 4-cylinder engine, larger brakes, 17-inch aluminum wheels, and dual exhaust outlets with polished tips.
The performance-oriented Mazdaspeed 3 is offered only as a hatchback, and is equipped with a turbocharged 4-cylinder engine, close-ratio 6-speed manual gearbox, 18-inch gunmetal-finish aluminum wheels wrapped in 225/40R18 summer performance tires, limited-slip differential with a Mazda Advanced Torque Management System, sport suspension, bigger front brakes, revised exhaust tuning, and unique front styling with a functional hood scoop.
Inside, the Mazdaspeed 3 includes leather-bolstered sport seats with cloth inserts, red cabin accents, aluminum pedals, turbo boost gauge, and a Bose Centerpoint surround-sound audio system. An optional Technology package adds satellite radio, automatic bi-xenon headlights with an adaptive front-lighting system, LED taillights, blind-spot monitoring system, rain-sensing wipers, keyless entry with push-button ignition, and an alarm system. This package also includes the new color touch-screen navigation system with SMS text messaging capability, e911 automatic emergency notification, HD Radio, and Pandora Internet radio.Under the Hood
The Mazda 3i SV has a 148-horsepower, 2.0-liter 4-cylinder engine (144 horsepower in PZEV tune). A 5-speed manual gearbox is standard, and a 5-speed automatic transmission is optional.
The Mazda 3i Sport, 3i Touring and 3i Grand Touring are equipped with a 2.0-liter, direct-injection, Skyactiv-G 4-cylinder engine, rated at 155 horsepower and paired with a 6-speed manual or 6-speed automatic transmission.
The Mazda 3s is equipped with a 2.5-liter 4-cylinder engine generating 167 horsepower (165 horsepower in PZEV tune). A 6-speed manual gearbox is standard and a 5-speed automatic transmission is optional.
The Mazdaspeed 3's direct-injected and turbocharged, 2.3-liter 4-cylinder engine delivers 263 horsepower at 5,300 rpm and 280 lb.-ft. of torque at 3,000 rpm. A 6-speed manual transmission equipped with a limited-slip differential and a Mazda Advanced Torque Management System is the only transmission choice.Fuel Economy
EPA fuel-economy estimates for the 2013 Mazda 3 models are:
- 3i with manual transmission: 25/33/28 mpg (city/highway/combined)
- 3i with automatic transmission: 24/33/27 mpg
- 3i Sedan Skyactiv with manual transmission: 27/39/31 mpg
- 3i Sedan Skyactiv with automatic transmission: 28/40/33 mpg
- 3i Hatchback Skyactiv with manual transmission: 27/38/31 mpg
- 3i Hatchback Skyactiv with automatic transmission: 28/39/32 mpg
- 3s with manual transmission: 20/28/23 mpg
- 3s with automatic transmission: 22/29/25 mpg
- Mazdaspeed 3: 18/25/21 mpg
The 2013 Mazda 3 is equipped with 6 air bags, traction and stability control, and 4-wheel-disc brakes with brake assist. A blind-spot monitoring system is optional on the Touring and Mazdaspeed trims and standard on the Grand Touring trim. Models with navigation are equipped with e911 automatic emergency notification service. Rain-sensing wipers and an adaptive front-lighting system are optional on the 3i Grand Touring and Mazdaspeed 3, and standard on the 3s Grand Touring.
The 2013 Mazda 3 receives a 4-star (out of 5 stars) overall National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) crash-test rating. Note that the side-impact rating is 3 stars, with a 2-star rating given for front passenger, side-impact protection. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) calls the 2013 Mazda 3 a "Top Safety Pick."