2011 Ferrari 599 GTO Preview
- All-new model
- Flagship of the Italian automaker's lineup
- Ferrari'sperformance benchmark model
- Only 599 will be made; priced at $450,000 each
- F1-inspired sequential automatic gearbox shifts gears in 60milliseconds
- Manettino switchgear on steering wheel with variousdriver-adjustablesettings
- Standard 6.0-liter V-12 engine with 661 horsepower (at 8,250 rpm)and457 lb.-ft. of torque
- 0-60 mph in just over 3 seconds
- Top speed of 208 mph
- Features newly developed Michelin tires and second-generationcarbon-ceramic brakes
Founded in 1928, Ferrari is a noted limited-production sports carmakerbased in Maranello, Italy. Interestingly enough, the company's originalobjective was to sponsor drivers and build race cars. Those planschanged in 1947 when Ferrari began making street-legal automobiles thatwere influenced heavily by its continued racing participation. Many ofthe early models, like the Ferrari 250 GTO, Ferrari 365 GTB and FerrariDino, would eventually become classics.
The Ferrari 599was launched for the 2007 model yearin street-legal"GTB" trim as a successor to the 575M Maranello. The all-new12-cylinder coupe was followed in 2009 by the "599XX" model-alightweight 599 variant designed purely for racing. In early 2010,Ferrari announced the "599 GTO," which is essentially a road-goingvariant of the 599XX model.
Production of the 2011 Ferrari 599 GTO is limited to just 599examples-each with a sticker price starting at about $450,000.
For More Information:
Page 1 of 2