Auto Sales Rise 20% in August
Highlights from August's sales rally include:
- American Honda and Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A. continued their recovery following last year's crippling earthquake in Japan, with year-over-year sales increases of 59.5% and 45.6%, respectively.
- Volkswagen continued to attract buyers, posting an August sales gain of 62.5%.
- Sales in the full-size pickup segment were up 16% in August, with all models experiencing gains except the Nissan Titan.
- The following luxury brands achieved sales increases of more than 25% each: Acura, Bentley, Jaguar, Lamborghini, Land Rover, Lexus, and Porsche.
- BMW sales were down 19%, compared to last year. Other brands losing, rather than gaining, sales included Mazda, Mitsubishi, and Suzuki.
Additionally, Automotive News reports that 79.9% of all vehicles sold in August were built in North America, in assembly plants located in Canada, Mexico or the United States. That figure is up from 78.2% at the same time last year.